Wednesday, October 8, 2008

no regrets

I was reading Camilles blog. She is, by the way, amazing. She posted some hilarious stories. I laughed. Some people were intensely critical. It made me think. "If someone would go out their way to voice their disdain over something like THAT, what would people say about me?" (No, I am not sharing:)) It also, for a second, made me think, "I wonder if she regrets doing that?" (by the way, you can read her blog for the whole story, link to the right).
And of course, that made me think about regrets in general. I will say right now that I have none. Not even one. I wouldn't necessarily share all of my skeletons, but I will not deny them. I came to a point in my early twenties. I had been married for a SHORT period of time and found myself filling out divorce papers. The thought kept running through my head that I never should have gotten married to begin with. Potential regret. It took me a loooong time to realize the importance of that failure. It was not a failure of marriage. It was a failure to listen to my heart.
Some of my 'learning experiences' have resulted in phenomenal insight. (Listening to my heart has served me well)
Others have made me realize what is obvious to the common person.
(those, by the way are the MOST embarrassing!)
Like how when a drive through says 'tight corner, no big trucks' it really means 'NOT YOU SHAWNA!!!' This past summer Jessie and I went through the Sonic drive through (on Fairview, west of Eagle road, in case you were wondering) and got stuck. By stuck I mean a Ford F-250 super duty quad cab, long bed wedged into the curbing with contact on the front passenger tire and the driver side rear tire. It wasn't apparent until after we placed our order, that I had stopped squarely in the 'dead zone'. Now with zero momentum, almost impossible to move. It must have taken a good 3 minutes, lots laughter, strong bladders, and some luck, but I did it. WE thought it was hilarious, and as we got up to the window, we realized that the whole staff had been watching our ordeal! The cashier tried to compose herself, as did we, to complete our transaction. So, nonchalantly, I asked if people get stuck in the drive through ofter. No longer able to contain themselves, the entire restaurant goes up in hysterical laughter.She said 'never'. More laughter. I have NEVER laughed so hard. The best part was telling Todd. Now, occasionally he will say, 'sounds like the alignment is off!' (Yeah, like you can HEAR that!!)
No regrets. Just not driving the truck through a drive through again, that's all!
I am happy where I am. I am here because of the mistakes I have made, and if I had it all to do again, knowing those mistakes would put me RIGHT HERE, I would do it without a doubt. Of course there are those 'crap, I should have put my lipstick out of the reach of a 2 year old!' No regrets. It helped me to discover Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! and where would I be without that!
I have learned to not buy a purse that cannot hold puke. Not to mop a tile floor in heels. NOT to say "pubic hair" within earshot of a preschooler right before class. Not to teach a dog to poop on a newspaper when you cannot figure out a way to teach him the difference between one that's been read and one that hasn't. Not to lie about my age. Not say nasty things when I am mad. Not to try to stand on top of a vinyl fence. the list could go on forever. I am laughing right now trying to figure out how much to divulge. Giggle. Still no regrets. lots of laughs. no regrets.

4 comments:

A-me said...

your post brought me back to reality and put a smile on my face. Thank you for speaking your mind today. You brought me out of my black dog of a day.

Aimee

Stacy said...

I am HAPPY for you...it is a good feeling, remind me of it next time I need to hear it.Love You,,,Stacy

Heather Carringer Lemon said...

You are to funny. The pick up story brought me back. To many a time have I gotten stuck in Darrell's and he or his brothers had to get me out. Never in a drive thru though. No that takes the cake! I like to think of a curb as more of a guide line than a barrier. ;)

Camille said...

That's so funny. I can totally envision the entire truck/drive threw incident like I was there... But now seriously, don't you feel aweful about it. You hit that curb, with your truck, and accidents are NEVER funny. Never something to laugh at. You could have really hurt that curb, and done some serious damage. If someone ever hit my curb I would be livid! You just lost a reader for all of the rest of today! (I will be back tomorrow, but I may have to post anonymously.):)

Bringin' the controversy where ever I go.