Saturday, October 11, 2008

Remember..

The Month of October is Infant and Child Death Remembrance Month.
October 15th is the recognized day of remembrance.
I would encourage you to do something. Maybe light a candle, write a note to a friend or family member who has been touched by an infant or child death, or visit the cemetery with flowers or balloons.
When I was maybe 5 or 6, my sister and I went to my grandparents house for Christmas. I remember sitting by the tree, looking at the gifts. I heard from the other room hushed whispers, and it being so close to Christmas, I couldn't resist the opportunity to maybe find out what surprises were in store. As I crept closer I could tell this was not a jubilant conversation that my grandmother and the other women were having, but instead a somber explanation. As I wasn't very old, I didn't fully understand the content, but I will never forget the tone. Being older, and having consulted my older cousins and Aunt, I now realize that the conversation held in my grandmothers kitchen was about an uncle that I had never known. Sherman. The following is as I understand it, and may not be totally accurate, as this was not a topic openly shared.
Sherman was my Grandparents oldest child. At the time, he was the only child. My grandparents, Merlin and Louise, were flood irrigating their property and Sherman was playing in the pooled water. I imagine him to be an inquisitive 2 year old, playing and splashing around. What happened next breaks my heart. Sherman must have been playing near the power pole and reached for the grounding wire. In an instant that must have lasted forever in his mothers heart, he was electrocuted.
I have never seen a picture of Sherman. I never had a chance to talk to my grandmother about him. He was forever in the most tender part of her heart. The part that broke every time she heard the whisper of his name. I had never seen my grandmother cry until that Christmas. and that was the only time. I was dying to know more, but I just couldn't bear to cause her tears. Now I know that feeling. This time it is my own. As hard as it is, I strive to keep Roman's memory alive. I, too, break at the whisper of Roman's name, but I cannot bear the thought of ignoring his memory.
There are so many people that hold a special little someone in that most tender part of their hearts. It is not openly talked about for many reasons. In some way we all know a mother who has left the hospital empty handed, or a father who watched his child suffer, a sister who only has the memory of a sibling or a brother who no longer has a buddy to play ball with. It is one of the greatest emotional setbacks to lose a child, regardless of age.
I would invite you to do a little something to remember Sherman, Roman, Vincent, Heather, Catherine and all the other little angels that left us too soon.

Remember October 15, 2008

3 comments:

Camille said...

((Thanks.))

Heather Carringer Lemon said...

You made me cry

Stacy said...

Maybe you should write a book. It is so eloquent and beautiful, ful of meaning and heart.Thank you for sharing:)part of yourself;)
Stacy